NASCAR fandom is a special club. NASCAR gained popularity for a lot of reasons, not the least of which was personalities. All the great NASCAR drivers are known by their personality and their fanbase. Earnhardt had an army of fans, especially late in his career.
Jeff Gordon got beer cans thrown at him. Why? His car was painted like a rainbow and he wasn’t from the south. Did he deserve it? Probably not, but he kept Jr. out of victory lane at Talladega. That’s the kind of thing you don’t come back from. Speaking of Dale Jr., Little E would draw standing ovations for leading a lap from the hoard of fans known as “Jr. Nation” Kyle Busch gets relentlessly booed while being introduced at tracks, often in front of his wife and kids. Why? He accidentally wrecked Dale Jr. over a decade ago while driving at Toyota.
NASCAR fans are some of the most passionate in the world, and if you are new to the sport, or a long-time viewer, there is a driver that doesn’t get the fandom he deserves.
His name is Clint Bowyer.
Chase Elliot is currently NASCAR’s most popular driver, and while he’s talented and oozing southern charm, Clint Bowyer should be the guy everyone likes. Chase Elliot is fancy, local craft beer. Clint Bowyer is Bud Light. Clint is the working man’s NASCAR driver. He’s one of us. I have compiled a list of reasons why we should all be Bowyer fans.
1. Started From The Bottom – Clint started at a young age, racing motocross, and eventually worked his way up to the highest level of American Motorsports. American Dream? Like Dusty Rhodes. From ARCA to Monster Cup, Bowyer has done it at every level, and been successful at every level.
2. Now He Here – Currently driving for Stewart-HAAS racing, and doing a bang-up job. He currently sits in 9th, on a quality team, with 4 top 5s. That first win of 2019 is coming soon. Get in on the action now.
3. He’s Hilarious – please watch the attached video and get back to me.
4. He Would Be a Fun Drinking Buddy – I don’t know this for a fact, but he looks like he can drink alcohol and tell a mean story about racing, women, or other times he went out drinking. Clint, hit me up on twitter to verify.
5. He Tells It Like It Is – See the post Kansas conflict with fellow driver Erik Jones. Erik blocked him, and Bowyer could have, and probably should have dumped his ass in front of the field. This isn’t F1, and you can do that here. After the race, Clint didn’t say the generic post-race interview drivel. He actually said, “I should have just wrecked him”. All of NASCAR fans everywhere agree.
Listen, everyone has their favorite driver, and that’s fine. If you like Chase Elliott, or Kevin Harvick or even Kyle Busch, good for you. Those are all solid choices, but if you’re not pulling for Bowyer in some capacity, you’re wrong my friend.